Thursday, September 8, 2011

Interview with debut author Heather Cashman


Today's guest is debut author Heather Cashman.

Bio:
Heather Cashman graduated from the University of Arizona with a Bachelor’s degree in Biochemistry but has always loved to write, winning her first contest in elementary school. Married since 1992, she has three teenage children who are her best friends. She loves to kayak and canoe down the windiest rivers she can find. Born in Tucson, Arizona, Heather moved to New York and then Wichita, Kansas. She welcomes opportunities to visit schools, libraries, and book groups in person or via Skype.

What inspired you to write Perception (The Tigers’ Eye Trilogy, Book 1)?
The story that became Perception has been in my head for a really long time, and when I finally had the time, it spilled out into print. I never intended to be an author. My books were (and still are) a way for me to have fun with my imagination. I also believe that my life is filled with inspiration, and writing is a way for me to get that out of my system and into a format that I can recognize. For you mathematicians out there: Imagination X Inspiration = writing.

What exciting story are you working on next?
I am finishing up the second revision of Deception (The Tigers’ Eye Trilogy, Book 2), where you will continue Ardana and Rijan’s story through the Hub and districts of Calem. I am also working on an Urban Fantasy series. Deception is set to be released December 1.

When did you first consider yourself a writer?
I considered myself a writer in elementary school when I wrote short stories and poems. It was the author part I still haven’t quite accepted—even now. It’s really difficult to believe I could make a “career” out of something I love doing so much.

Do you write full-time? If so, what's your work day like? If not, what do you do other than write and how do you find time to write?
My work day consists of eight to ten hours, five of which I write when my three teenagers are in school. The other three to five hours are spent on social media, writing articles, exchanging interviews, reading other authors for reviews, etc., done while my children are at lessons, doing their own homework, or after they go to bed. I don’t sleep much.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I’m not really sure how other people write, so I don’t know what would make me different. I’ve been known to binge write, sitting at the computer for 36 hours straight with one bowl of cereal and a constant stream of diet Sunkist.

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I always wanted to be a school teacher like my mother, but she discouraged me so much, I eventually went a different path. Because of my love of airplanes, I began college pursuing an Aerospace Engineering degree, switched to Biochemistry, and eventually became a writer. I think I’ve finally got it right.

Anything additional you want to share with the readers?
I would like to thank readers for taking a chance on a first time author. It’s difficult to spend money on a possibility, but a lot of people have and later told me how much they love it. Taking my writing from something purely self-satisfying to sharing with others and publishing was difficult for me, but my readers’ comments and reviews have made it more than worthwhile to me. It has become the reward of a lifetime.

Readers can connect with me through my website, my blog, and on Twitter.

Heather, thank you for being here and best of luck with your writing projects.

1 comment:

Heather Cashman said...

Lisa,
Thanks for having me here. I look forward to your future novels!